It is worth noting that at the moment even 4K resolution is not very popular, significantly inferior to 2K. Nevertheless, in his recent presentation of the 3000 line of video cards, the head of NVIDIA, Mr. Jen-Hsun Huang, mentioned that the top product of the “green giant” GeForce RTX 3090 can handle games in 8K resolution.
Our colleagues from the YouTube channel Bang4BuckPC Gamer decided to check this statement and tested the GeForce RTX 3090 graphics card in 8K resolution in the following projects: Horizon Zero Dawn, The Witcher 3, FFXV, and Crysis 3.
- Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3950X OC
- Motherboard: MSI MEG X570 Unify
- Video card: NVIDIA Asus TUF OC Edition RTX 3090
- Driver: NVIDIA GeForce 456.71 Driver
- RAM: Patriot Viper Gaming 4400Mhz DDR4 32GB (Run at 3600Mhz CL14)
- System unit case: Thermaltake View 71 Tempered Glass Case
- Cooling: Custom
- Power supply: Corsair HX 1000i PSU
- SSD 1: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB
- SSD 2: Samsung 860 QVO 1 TB
- SSD 3: Pioneer 1TB SSD APS-SL3-1T
- SSD 4: Sabrent Rocket NVMe PCIe 4.0 M.2 SSD 1TB
- Display: LG OLED55B9PUA 4K HDR TV
Graphics settings in games were set to High/Ultra depending on the project.
Horizon Zero Dawn at 8K on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090:
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt at 8K on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090:
Final Fantasy XV at 8K on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090:
Crysis 3 at 8K on NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3090:
According to the results of the study, it turned out that Mr. Huang did not cheat and spoke the pure truth. The RTX 3090 really handles the above projects at 8K resolution. However, it is worth noting that often the frame rate does not exceed 30-40FPS. Moreover, in the case of Horizon Zero Dawn, the frame rate can drop even below 30fps.
What do you prefer: play at 8K/30FPS, or lower the resolution to 4K, but get a significant boost in performance?